Hi! It’s been a while since we last updated our blog… But we’re back!

Following the yearly tradition, we will be posting Frosh Features on this blog for each of the 11 members in the Freeman Scholars Class of 2020. First off, get to know Bright and Yu Kai, a.k.a “The Sassiest Duo’20”!

“Bright” Sajirat Palakarn (Thailand)

/ Yu Kai Tan (Malaysia)
Yukai Bright 2

What is your current project/homework/paper that takes the most of your time?

Bright: The History Papers are the ones that take most of my time. It’s mostly for researching and formulating ideas for the prompt. What makes it especially long and tiresome is that sometime, you already had the main idea and the backbone of the entire paper, then you found some contradicting evidence which disprove your entire idea. However, I must say that it is a great learning experience.

Yu Kai: Poring over an Art History paper 30 times can take up quite a bit of time. I guess the lesson of the story is: don’t take subjects you love too much. You’ll love life, and lose sleep.

Where is your favorite place to do schoolwork?

Bright: Basement of Olin, the first table from the staircase. If that is taken, I usually go to the table near the government documents stack.

Yu Kai: Off the top of my head. That counts as a place, right? Long research and reading based papers are very gratifying to write, but spontaneity is oftentimes more enthralling.

What do you think is Wesleyan’s hidden gem?

Bright: Squirrels’ homes? I wonder where they stay at night.

Yu Kai:The night sky on Foss Hill. The Milky Way arching overhead, sprinkled with stars against a deep velvet sky, makes the quiet suburban lifestyle extremely worthwhile.

What is your favorite food served on campus?

Bright: Sweet and sour chicken at Kosher station in Usdan market place.

Yu Kai: Pumpkin? Squash? Butternut? I love them. But I still can’t tell them apart.

Yu Kai Bright 1

What do you do when you miss home?

Bright: Usually just listen to some Thai music and eat some chips.

Yu Kai: Eat chilli.

What would you say to people interested in applying to the Freeman Asian Scholarship?

Bright: This scholarship has provided me with an unbelievable opportunity to learn and expand my boundary. Wesleyan University is such a great place to experience new knowledge, and you will never regret trying something new here.

Yu Kai: 1. What you think is your greatest weakness may as easily be your greatest strength. 2. Start contemplating about life early (it’s also a good excuse for sitting around unproductively). 3. Do it!

What has been your favorite experience so far at Wesleyan?

Bright: Realizing that your opinion is valued and your input in the class contribute to others’ learning is such a great feeling.

Yuki: Seeing the last light of day sifting through the fall foliage. The dancing hues of vivid crimson and wary yellows, wandering upon the lingering greys of the pavement. I am living in Lothlórien.

Thanks for reading!